Thursday, August 11, 2016

9th Wedding Anniversary

Yesterday was mine and Sterling's 9th wedding anniversary. Since he is home mornings this week we went on a morning date. I scheduled for all of our three children to play at friends' houses that morning and afternoon.

We started our date at Flags and Wheels. We played a round of laser tag...just us two. I had played the game only once before and it was just as fun this time with only the two of us as it was the first time with a whole group of my female friends.

I annihilated my husband that round. I did have an advantage...knowing the course. Whereas he hadn't been there before so he didn't know how big the room was, where the walls and deadends were at.

We moved on to something I have never done before...go cart racing. Ster did it once before...in Turkey. He was on a TDY (Military work trip) with a friend (Todd Mangle) at that time. It's been a few years.


I may not have driven very fast compared to Sterling but I had a blast. It was amazing fun!

From there we went downtown to our favorite place to eat...Tally's Silver Spoon. They are a small breakfast and lunch place. Amazing food!
We had a delicious lunch together. I had expected him to ask the question(s) I had come so use to hearing on our big dates..."Is there anything I have done that has bothered you?" or "Is there any thing you would like me to do better at?"
We would make sure there was no tension or bad feelings. Fix things and make them right.

I guess we've gotten past that because there wasn't been much I could complain about the last year or so.

And now a days if anything does bother me I consider it in my mind and figure out the best way to talk to Ster about it without causing trouble but then end up deciding I am the one who needs to change.
For instance...it sometimes annoys me that Ster doesn't help more. Sometimes he helps with the house cleaning and kids fabulously! And sometimes I wonder what is going through his head; when I need help with the kids and housecleaning (often on Saturday nights when we do baths and prep for Sunday) but he doesn't help. He might ask "What can I do to help?" Yes! So I give him one assignment. He does that in a jiffy then disappears. I have a whole list he can help me with but he is gone. So I imagine he is taking charge and cleaning something he knows needs it. It typically turns out he is playing on his computer.

OR he will come and ask if he can help me...after I get everything done. He waits. That drives me crazy!

BUT...what will change the situation is if I change how I do it. Instead of continuing my work wishing he would read my mind and come help I should stop. Take a break to find him and say "Please help me. This is what I need." Saturday nights overwhelm me and I desperately need him to start being helpful every time!


Back to our date...
We got so full at our delicious lunch that we had no room for dessert. So we walked around a little bit downtown looking at the shops and statues. Enjoying the beautiful day.
We walked into an adorable little candy shop where everything was way too high priced but it was very cute.

We decided to pick up our kids a little early (an hour early) which is typical when we go out on dates.
Ster had to work that afternoon and evening but we would have Culver's ice cream that night.
Ster ended up getting off work early enough that he bought an ice cream for the kids to share as well...to help us celebrate.

We are so happy together. We love our life! We love our marriage. We love our family. We love our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment