Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kindergarten, Furniture, Buying a House and More

We finally closed on our house! It did not take very long for purchasing a house but we were planning on it being a little sooner. We were going to close on the 6th but because of the holidays it got pushed to the 10th.
After we closed on the house we celebrated by going to dinner at Denny's. We love going out to eat together. It's really fun. And we love Denny's. Unfortunately our Denny's here has bad service and runs out of food ingredients too often.

That week was a bit crazy. On Tuesday the movers brought our belongings from Italy! All week I worked on unpacking boxes and trying to start getting the house organized.  I ended up working more than I should have at the end of my pregnancy but I did not feel any danger in doing so. I just replaced my workouts with constantly being busy.

So we started some stability for Tiberias. Being in a house we told him was our new home was not enough for him. He would say "This isn't our house. We don't live here!" I knew that getting our furniture and his books, toys, etc back would be the start of him settling in this house.
He had trouble sleeping and would wake us up every night...being in the bedroom next to ours. When our stuff came we moved Lachoneus and Ty downstairs to live in the bedroom just at the bottom of the stairs. Ty started sleeping so much better! Maybe it's because the house isn't empty anymore.
So Sterling and I were able to sleep better...except for my being big and pregnant and having to take a restroom break 7 times a night.

Let me backtrack some more...Lachoneus started school! Friday the 3rd of January. All day kindergarten. He has a really nice teacher and a huge class (25 students). I like the school so far. It's a elementary, middle and high school in one building but separated by parts of the school and play grounds.  Unfortunately school playgrounds are almost all there are in and around Rapid City. There is tons of shopping but it lacks parks for kids! Very unfortunate!
Parks and libraries...that is what I love to do with my kids. There is a library on base that has a tiny kid section but it has a jungle room (a fun play room for young kids).
Then there's a library in a college near our house...small kid section. And a library in downtown Rapid City with an amazing kid selection and lounge! Unfortunately you have to meter park to go to the library! No free parking. The longer you stay the more you pay.  :(

There is, of course, a library in Luke's school. So atleast he gets to go to the library and check out books to bring home. He is a beginning reader so it's fun that he gets to bring home books for practicing.

Adjusting to school there are a few things Luke wasn't doing so well with at first; rough housing and staying in your "center" to play. We pretty much encourage rough housing with Sterling in our home so it being "bad" at school is an adjustment.
And even though Lachoneus did two years of preschool where you were given a center to play in and told to stay there until it was time to switch centers...he doesn't like being told where and what to play with.

Adjusting to Luke going to school for me:
It is quieter at home without Luke. He is a five year old and so he talks quite a bit. But I am enjoying having it be quieter during the day. And Tiberias takes naps many days so I get almost two hours of "me" time...or atleast until the baby comes.
I have to adjust to Luke coming home with homework, packing him lunches (he prefers home lunches over cafeteria lunches), taking him to school and picking him up. He does not take the bus because we live so close to the school. The school, Valley View Elementary, is like four blocks over and another four up...something like that. If the weather was warm I'd walk it but so far we drive.

Luke being in school will give me the opportunity to really focus on educating Tiberias on his Alphabet. So far I've been too busy to really do it. Then Luke comes home and I'm working with him on homework from school and homework from me...to make sure he's caught up to where his teacher is teaching. Right now the focus is him writing his real first name and his last name, and learning sight words.

So Luke started school then our stuff was finally delivered to our house. We closed on the house! Then Saturday evening my parents arrived. They came to help with the house, the boys and the delivery of the baby.

 Sunday we all went to church together. Tiberias finally had his first day in Sunbeams. Primary, yay! His teacher had way too many Sunbeams and Sterling ended up helping in the class for third hour. I'm a little worried now about Ty being happy in that class. He hated nursery for like a year now so I was really hopeful that Sunbeams would  make him happy. But now I worry that it won't be organized enough to make him happy. The crying kids and un-organization is what I think Ty doesn't like about nursery.

Sterling made crock pot roast, carrots, onion and potatoes for Sunday's dinner.

Monday Sterling went to work. Luke went to school. My parents helped me clean/organize and set up the babies bedroom/storage room that is next to mine and Ster's bedroom. My dad put together the crib. It's so nice to finally get the babies stuff set up. The bassinet is set up by my bed. I do want to find a changing table with drawers for her clothes. My parents gave me the crib we now have. Mom bought it used in Mesquite and brought it up for us...it's really cute and looks great in that room.
My parents also brought up our china cabinet that they have been using while we lived in Italy.
Now it's in our living room and we're figuring out what we want in it...to show our travels.

Our couch from Italy was going to be in the basement in the entertainment room but the movers couldn't get it down there. So it's in the living room right now. We are going to get rid of it though. We bought two couches for the living room and a big sectional for the entertainment room. They will be delivered on Monday the 20th. That's the day my parents leave though. So they miss out on being here when we have a furnished house. However, they are planning to come back in the Summer...see Mount Rushmore and do some other fun stuff. There is actually a lot of fun things to do around here in the summer.

Monday afternoon Sterling and I went on a date. We went to sign a paper at the home insurance place then we went to an early dinner at Applebys. It was yummy but we were in a little hurry to get to the movie. The theater turned out to be extremely close to the restaurant. 
We saw the Hobit Desolation of Smaug. It's the 2nd Hobit movie. I enjoyed the first one a lot more. This one dragged on a bit to me. But the whole time I was trying to figure out where I know the female elf actor from. I never figured it out. I just looked it up online...it's the female actor from the tv show LOST ( Evangeline Lily).
Athena would not hold still for the first half of the movie then was moving off and on the rest of the movie. 

Ster and I had a great time being together without the kids. We were going to go for dessert after the movie but it was raining...had been all afternoon and evening.   We stopped at Office Max to buy printer paper then Walmart for ice cream. Since it was raining and kind of cold we thought being home, making dessert ourselves and watching tv in our jammies sounded more fun than eating dessert at a restaurant. I didn't realize that going home would really be the end of our alone time though. We went home and Sterling started a project while I made dessert.I made Ster's mom's hot pudding cake but it didnt turn out right.
 Luke and Ty were awake over an hour after we got home. We got them to bed then we finally had a good time....dessert while watching The Middle.

Today, Tuesday, Tiberias is not feeling well. His neck hurts and he may be sick.   Plus, it's snowing like crazy. There's already a few inches of snow on the ground whereas yesterday there was no snow.  Mom and I are going to go shopping for couch throw pillows and lamps for the living room.  I'm not sure what time we will go...we are waiting for the snow fall to die down.

I need to cut Ty's hair today...it's too long.  I need to finish packing for the hospital. I need to pick which camera to take, pack my computer and snacks for me. We'll need to pack some food for Sterling too...I'm not sure about their hospital cafeteria.

Tomorrow morning I have to call the hospital by 4:30a to let them know I am coming and see if they have a room ready for me. I can go in as early as 5:30a if they have a room. We'll induce the labor. My parents will be home with the kids...Luke will go to school. Then mom will come to the hospital for the delivery. Dad or Sterling will pick up Luke from school at 2:55pm. I am hoping Athena will be born early afternoon at latest.

The kids and my dad will get to come meet the baby that afternoon at the hospital. We'll stay one night in the hospital, Athena and I, if all goes smooth.

We're planning on taking my parents out to the Texas Road House for lunch on Friday. Luke has no school Friday or next Monday...a long weekend.
Maybe Ster will take my parents to see Mount Rushmore this week or weekend. None of us have seen it yet. It's less than an hour away, I hear.

I am so excited that tomorrow Athena comes into our family! I can hardly wait to hold her in my arms!!




No comments:

Post a Comment