Sunday, January 26, 2014

Making Friends

 Dinner Party

Last night we had guests over to our house! Our living room is mostly complete; we got our couches, rug, lamps, tables, china cabinet, throw pillows and wall decorations up. The only thing to do in the future for that room is get better curtains...it just has a set of shear curtains right now.

The family room downstairs has the office area all set up and decorated...Sterling's doing. The new sectional couch is down there, the 32inch tv and the awesome ottoman we just got. We can't really decorate the walls yet because we plan on doing so many changes in that room; we will replace the tv with a huge one and mount it on the opposite wall from where the current tv is. That means moving the sectional as well.
Sterling is going to build book shelves to go on the shelf that runs all the way around the walls. Put our dvd collection and book collection on them...on both sides of the fireplace he is going to put in (in the center of the wall). He has worked hard to clean and paint that fireplace stove. It looks great now!

The boys have a bunkbed in their room and tons of toys too. But I can't do much organizing in there until their other bunk bed/desk/drawers piece of furniture is delivered from the store.
The kitchen looks great; all we did there was add a refrigerator/freezer.
The dining room has a tiny table that was my craft table in Italy. There are no decorations on the wall. But we bought a fine dining table with two benches and chairs that will be delivered tomorrow! Then we'll decorate the wall and that room will be complete. (Crossing my fingers that the table is not too big for our dining area)

We had our friends the Liefker's over for dinner yesterday, despite our unfinished dining room.
Brenda, Ben, Braeden and Bryson. And as soon as they arrived Brenda told me the exciting news...she's pregnant! She's about to start working a new job and was surprised to learn she's pregnant. So now that shakes things up a bit.
She is dealing with the first trimester sickness.

We gave them a tour of the house.
All the little boys played downstairs in the boys' bedroom and the tv room (where they love throwing all the big pillows off the couch, jumping on the couch and the ottoman and pulling out the games we placed inside the ottoman. 
Sterling and Ben started getting to know each other in the office area of the downstairs where Ster keeps a bunch of his projects and things right now.
Brenda and I chatted upstairs and then I made dinner; pizza spaghetti skillet. After dinner we ate homemade chocolate chip cookies Brenda made. Yum!

Sterling taught Ben how to play Mancala...a game we have. Then after dinner Ben taught Brenda and they played a few rounds while we all socialized.

They asked us how we met and we roughly told them the story. Then they told us the story of how they met. Some of it was that they dated then they broke up. She started to move on and was dating someone else. He tried to pursue her and once she agreed to just see him and hear him out it didn't take long for him to propose...they were not even dating each other. lol.

A few things I really like about the Liefker's:
They are religious and actually go to church. Not our religion but a religion.
They lived in Germany and came back recently. So I don't feel bad at all talking about Italy because they have had some amazing experiences in Germany themselves.  Usually I feel kind of bad talking about Italy because people are so envious. I don't want to be bragging ever. 

Braedon and Bryson are really nice boys. They are not bullies. And all four of our boys get along so well. They have so much fun together! Ty doesn't like to play with them as long as Luke and Braedon do. Ty will come hang out with the grown ups or the baby sometimes. But I guess Bryson does that too. Maybe it's their age. The older boys have fun with friends longer.



Baby Shower

A day or two ago I started itching to plan a cake. I need a reason to make and decorate a cake! A baby shower would be awesome! Then I realized that maybe, just maybe, my friend Martha is going to have or wants to have a baby shower. Her due date is coming up, late January, and I have not heard a thing about a baby shower for her. It is her third child but it's her first girl. And she does have plenty of girl clothes so she doesn't need those. But maybe she'd like a diaper and wipes party? And I can make a cake to show off and share.
I text messaged Martha and she said she doesn't have any plans for one but would love one. So now I am planning her baby shower!

Quickly I have to find women to help me plan and throw the shower. Martha gave me some names of her friends in the ward. Once I have a committee we will meet sometime this week to plan the event...get the ball rolling. I am excited! :)

Martha wants to make little hair bows for her baby as an activity at the party. I think it's a way cute idea. Better than just baby shower games. I'll have Martha pick out her perfect baby girl shower cake and I will make it. 


Friends/Neighbors

I also really like the Nopes who are in our ward and live just across the street. They had us over at their house with their (I think) 5 kids for New Year's Eve night. We have not had them over to our house yet because we didn't have furniture and now we have a newborn. In a week or so we'll have them over for a meal or something.

And Druceal I made friends with recently (a play date at her home)lives just across Twilight street from us. She has two kids and she does cakes, painting and homeschooling.

There are many wonderful and sweet women in the ward that I know I will make many friends. I am excited for this year. To start doing cakes and photography again. To have playdates/baby showers and events where my friendship grows with the women in the ward. And to host events at our house which is awesome.

The bad thing about living up on the top of the hill is the wind. Now, there is wind all over Rapid City! But it hits the back of our house so hard! Atleast it's not the front of the house it hits all the time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment